We would like to thank everyone for voting for us for Best of Northwest Arkansas Contest 2023! The results will be announced shortly!

Do We Have a Lawsuit After Car Accident?

About a week ago, my husband was hurt when he was stopped at a red light and another driver slammed into the rear of his pickup. He seemed OK right after the accident, but now he can barely get out of bed and he can’t work. I’m really worried. We aren’t going to be able to pay our regular bills, let alone his medical bills. Could we file a lawsuit to get help with the medical bills?

This is an awful thing to have happen. It sounds like your husband didn’t do anything to cause the accident, and now he’s paying the price for someone else’s negligence.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you do not talk to the adjuster. While adjusters might sound like they care and are trying to help, they are graded in their job performance by how little they are able to get their insurance company to pay. They are not your friend.

You probably do have grounds to sue the other driver, and not just for medical bills.

When you are hurt in a car accident and it is the fault of the other driver, you are entitled to have your medical bills paid for, to have your lost wages reimbursed, to have the cost of going to the doctor covered and, on top of that, to be paid for your pain and suffering.

This is not an easy process and it is not a quick process. You should talk to an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you through the process. Having an attorney usually means that your settlement from the insurance company is greater than it would have been if you were working with the adjuster—the guy who is NOT your friend.

It is very important that you keep a diary so you can document how bad your injuries were and what life has been like as you go through treatment. If you haven’t yet started keeping track of his medical records and bills, please pull them all together now, and add new ones to your file as they come in. All those records will help an attorney assist you.

You should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney will review the accident details and medical records and determine your best approach. Good luck to you.